MOST SOUGHT-AFTER LEGAL SERVICES IN NIGERIA
In today's legal landscape, individuals and businesses have a wide range of legal needs that they seek assistance with. Some areas of law are more in demand than others, and there are certain services that clients consistently seek out from lawyers. Here is a countdown of the most sought-after legal services in Nigeria:
10. Insurance Practice: Insurance attorneys deal with the legal issues that arise from insurance policies. This can include issues such as policy interpretation, claim disputes, and bad faith. Insurance attorneys help their clients navigate the complex laws and regulations that govern the insurance industry and represent them in disputes related to these issues.
9. Bankruptcy services: Filing for bankruptcy can be difficult, but it is often the best option available to those overwhelmed by debt collectors' threats and constant phone calls at home or working late into the night. A bankruptcy lawyer assists in bankruptcy protection and helps protect clients’ assets from being seized by creditors.
8. Arbitration services: Arbitration is a form of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) in which parties agree to have their disputes resolved by an impartial third party, called an arbitrator, rather than by a judge or jury in a court of law. Arbitration is often used as an alternative to litigation because it can be faster, less expensive, and more private. It is one of the fastest-growing services in high demand.
7. Intellectual property law: Intellectual property attorneys assistclients with legal issues related to patents, trademarks, and copyrights. Theyhelp clients obtain and protect their intellectual property rights and asset,and also help resolve disputes that may arise.
6. Personal injury: Personal injury attorneys represent clients who havebeen injured as a result of someone else's negligence or wrongdoing. They canhelp clients pursue compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and otherdamages through settlements or lawsuits.
5. Criminal defence: Criminal defence attorneysrepresent clients who have been charged with a crime and help them navigate thecriminal justice system. This may include negotiating plea bargains,representing clients in court, criminal defence, and appealing convictions.
4. Estate Planning and Probate: Estate planning and probate deals with thedistribution of a person's assets after death, including the drafting of willsand trusts, and the administration of the probate process.
3. Real estate transaction: Real estate attorneysassist clients with legal issues related to buying, selling, and leasingproperty. They can help draft and review purchase agreements, conduct titlesearches, do due diligence, review contract and handle real estate closings.
2. Corporate and Commercial services: Corporateattorneys assist clients with legal issues related to the formation, operation,and dissolution of corporations. They may help with drafting articles ofincorporation, bylaws, and other corporate documents, and also advise clientson corporate governance and compliance with state and federal regulations.Corporate services also include Mergers and acquisitions (M&A), companysecretary, due diligence, drafting and reviewing purchase agreements and otherlegal documents, and advising clients on potential legal risks andopportunities.
1. Contract review and drafting: Business attorneysare often called upon to review and draft a wide range of contracts, includingemployment agreements, vendor contracts, lease agreements, and more. They canadvise clients on potential legal risks and help negotiate favourable terms.
While these are the popular areas for practicing lawyers in Nigeria, itis not uncommon to specialise in multiple practice areas. There are many otherservices that can be provided by lawyers such as Healthcare Law, EnvironmentalLaw, Cybersecurity Law, Sports, Immigration Law, Employment, and Tax Law.Entertainment Law is another up-and-coming field as creatives in Nigeria arenow putting more effort into creating security and protection for their brandsand or services.
Check out our earlier post on this. TLF (thelearnedfriends.com)